The Social Justice & Solidarity Committee consolidates the following standing committees: Anti-Poverty, Anti-Racism, Pride, Status of Women and Sustainability under one umbrella to address solidarity and social justice issues.
Social Justice & Solidarity Chair: Elaine Ong Maria Teresa Foster Madalene Wong
Social Justice & Solidarity Committee Terms of Reference
- To work with the Social Justice contacts at each school, encourage them to pass on committee information, and keep teachers informed of social justice issues.
- To communicate with members about topics relating to social justice through the submission of articles in the VEAES News, holding open meetings, and organizing information sharing events.
- To help VEAES members make links between social justice and how it affects their classrooms, school communities, and the district as a whole.
- To liaise with and support other VEAES standing committees, the BCTF, other unions, and advise the Executive Committee on liaison with VSB advisory committee and community organizations and work together towards the end of the elimination of social injustice.
- To advise the VEAES executive committee on matters relating to social justice, including bargaining clauses to promote social justice.
- To identify resources, educational materials which relate to social justice and make them available for use by VEAES members.
2018 Oct 09 Exec
BCTF Social Justice Newsletters 2014-2020
Resource List from Community Organizations
VEAES’s Anti-Poverty Committee has been amalgamated into the larger Social Justice & Solidarity Committee which has been active around a number of socio-economic issues facing students, teachers and economically marginalized people in our community. The Committee meets to address homelessness, child poverty and the growing class divide in British Columbia.
VEAES invites you to join the Social Justice & Solidarity Committee and/or attend meetings, held once a month from 4-5:30 pm.
VEAES’s Anti-Racism Committee has been amalgamated into the larger Social Justice & Solidarity Committee. This committee works to support teachers and assists them in finding resources and practical ways of doing anti-racism work in their classrooms.
We are also looking at ways in which we can work collaboratively with other like-minded community organizations and other VEAES committees interested in doing social justice work.
New members are always welcome so please contact the VEAES office if you have any questions about the committee. VEAES invites you to join the Social Justice & Solidarity Committee and/or attend meetings, held once a month, 4pm at the VEAES office.
Anti-Oppression Educators Collective
Challenging Racist “British Columbia”
BCTF Social Justice – Anti-Racism Resources
Black History Month
Resources for February’s Black History Month (BCTF)
March 21 International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination
Spirit Bear’s Guide to the TRC’s Calls to Action
Beyond 94 CBC News
The Social Justice & Solidarity Committee strives to work with the sustainability contact at the school level:
- to encourage environmentally sustainable practices in schools;
- to communicate with members about topics related to environmental justice;
- to help VEAES members make links between issues of environmental justice and other social justice issues; and
- to consider, and potentially design and create projects, professional development opportunities, and lessons aids related to environmental justice topics for the use of VEAES members.
Please join VEAES’ Social Justice & Solidarity Committee, which holds meetings once a month, 4 pm at the VEAES office to translate these ideas into action.
Environmental Educators Provincial Specialist Association
VSB Sustainability Resources and Grants
BCTF Environmental Teaching Resources
Paper at School
Beyond the 3 Rs
Important Environmental Dates